As part of our sustainability journey, we are engaging with the United Nations Global Goals in an attempt to do our part to reach a more sustainable 2030.
What are the Global Goals?
The Sustainable Development Goals or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked goals designed to be a “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all”. Set in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly, the goals are intended to be achieved by the year 2030.
How is Equator engaging with the goals?
We are engaging with the goals within our three sustainability focus areas:
- Where and how is the belt made?
- What is the belt made from?
- How is the belt packaged and distributed?
Where and how is the belt made?
– 5* Green Star Certification (first fashion manufacturer in SA)
– Ongoing sustainability in operation (Waste, water, energy, carbon)
– Sustainable renovations when necessary
– L.E.A.N. Methodology
– Work with informal traders and NGOs to reduce leather waste
Employee Wellbeing & Engagement
– Good working conditions & well-lit spaces
– Fair living wages
– Employee sustainability engagement programmes
– Celebrating Diversity Programme
– Staff training
What is the belt made from?
– Leather certifications
– Use of recycled leather
– Plant-based material innovation
– Plastic reduction
Working with Suppliers and Partners
– Strict tanning standards
– Localisation of materials and suppliers
– Working with customers to create demand for more eco-friendly alternatives
How is the belt packaged and distributed?
Waste Associated with Product Packaging
– Reducing single-use plastic
– Increasing recycled and recyclable content
– Repurposing of ocuts for items such as hangers
Carbon Emissions & Distribution
– Carbon measurement & offset